Lisa's New Outdoor Play Space
Lisa has created this amazing sand pit area under a tree in her outdoor area.
She has used plants, baskets, cane shelving, herbs and wine barrels to enhance the area and make it appealing for all children.
Playing in a sandpit is a wonderful experience for children. It assists them with their physical, cognitive and social development.
Children are encouraged and supported to:
• enjoy different textures
• use a variety of materials such as pipes, saucepans and sand toys for a purpose
• learn ideas such as empty/full, heavy/light, wet/dry
• strengthen muscles
• coordinate their whole body
• develop attention and concentration
• practice their fine motor skills (by lining up all the leaves they have collected in
the outdoor play space. Placing them gently on the sand to create patterns)
• develop their imagination (building roads, doing pretend cooking)
• learn how to play with other children in meaningful ways developing their social skills
• observe other children playing and learning to communicate or cooperate